(Yicai Global) May 11 -- Consumer electronics maker Oppo Electronics Corp. has showcased a mobile handset featuring 3D facial recognition technology that could break Apple Inc.’s monopoly on hands-free phone unlocking.
The firm hopes to commercialize the tech within the next six months and bring the security system to Android phones, Bai Jian, an Oppo research director, told QQ News while demoing a handset in Shenzhen yesterday. The prototype can also recognize faces in poor lighting, he added.
The Guangdong-based firm also unveiled its latest developments in fifth-generation networks, demoing a phone which could upload an eight-gigabyte movie in 6.7 seconds. Oppo plans to release its first 5G products on a small scale next year, before starting mass production in 2020, said Tang Hai, another research director at Oppo.
China’s big three mobile operators, China Mobiles Communications Corp., China United Network Communications Group (Unicom) and China Telecommunications Corp., got the go ahead to pilot 5G networks in Beijing and other cities last month. The networks are set to be a game changer for mobile download speeds across the country, allowing smartphone owners to stream high-definition movies uninterrupted by network issues.