(Yicai Global) April 16 -- China’s largest tech firm Tencent Holdings Ltd. will not withdraw its popular messaging app QQ International from the European market, even though the program told users that it would suspend services in the region from May 20.
The Shenzhen-based company will continue to offer QQ International across Europe, it said on social media on April 13, just hours after users received a conflicting message from the app itself.
The date QQ International would supposedly suspend services in Europe is just five days before the European Union rolls out the globe’s toughest data protection rules, the General Data Protection Regulation, to better control personal information being sent out of the European Union.
The new laws prevent European data providers and processors, and organizations outside the EU that collect information based on individuals in the bloc, from processing data unless they have at least one lawful reason to do so. Such pardons include having the user’s consent or having a legal obligation to process the data.
Tencent, whose China version of QQ had 783 million monthly active users at the end of last year, has not yet issued a statement to explain how QQ International will adjust to meet the new requirements.