US Will Seek Swift Alternatives to Current Sanctions on ZTE, Ross Says
Xu Wei
/SOURCE : Yicai
US Will Seek Swift Alternatives to Current Sanctions on ZTE, Ross Says

(Yicai Global) May 15 – The US is willing to change the sales ban on Chinese mobile phone manufacturer Zhongxing Telecommunication Equipment Corp. as soon as possible; US Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross has said yesterday.

He made these comments yesterday EST, as China Central Television reported.

US President Donald Trump stated the day before he had asked the US commerce department to help ZTE resume business. "China (ZTE) has too many job losses," said he.

The above news has met with skepticism from US media, some of whom criticize Trump who cries "America First," but puts Chinese employment first instead.

Ross explained at the National Press Club that ZTE did do some inappropriate things and the company has already acknowledged this.

"The question is: are there alternatives to the measures we originally proposed? This will be the place where we will study very, very quickly," said the secretary.

The US government sanctioned ZTE in March 2016 for exporting telecom equipment with American products and technologies to Iran and North Korea in violation of a US ban. The two sides later reached a settlement agreement. The US reactivated the ban last month, claiming ZTE failed to comply with the arrangement and barred US firms from selling components to the Shenzhen-based telecom titan for seven years, thus effectively shuttering it.

Editor: Ben Armour

Follow Yicai Global on
Keywords: US , ZTE , Donald Trump , Wilbur Ross